– Meanwood Trail Race – Recce Runs
– 5-10k Group and food on Tuesday 3 September
– Juniors (and seniors) food on Tuesday 3 September
– Club handicap on 17 September
– Events for juniors
– News posts on the Website
NB you may prefer to read this email on the website at https://www.valleystriders.org.uk/v-s-update-19th-August-2019
Apologies, it’s been over a month since the last V S Update. Hopefully you’ll have been looking at the news posts on the club website, and if not, see at the foot of this email what you’ve missed (and can still read)
Meanwood Trail Race – Recce Runs on Thursdays 22 August and 5 September (from Steph Gledhill and Richard Irvine)
The 22nd edition of the Meanwood Trail Race organised by Valley Striders will take place on Saturday 14 September. If you’re available to help, please post on the Facebook announcement https://www.facebook.com/groups/291402584033/announcements or email [email protected]
For the benefit of marshals and for general interest of anyone else helping on the day or indeed anyone interested in the race route, there will be two recce runs, one on Thursday 22 August, the other on Thursday 5 September. Both are planned to start at 6:45pm from Leos car park (NB the one in September will start promptly as the evenings are getting darker). Both are suitable for experienced runners and intermediates; it is planned that the intermediates will run a shorter route, cutting out the loops through the woods to the North of Leos at the start and finish of the race route.
5-10k Group and food on Tuesday 3 September (from John Hussey)
On September 1st our 5-10Km Group are taking on the Wetherby 10Km Event. They have been training hard and I’m sure they will all achieve their goals.
To celebrate this achievement we are planning to go off out together for a special Social get together. The current plan is to have a very light training session at 6pm on Tuesday 3rd September and go out for a meal. A possible venue is Marinella’s on The Avenue which is a Sicilian-Italian Restaurant (Bring your own wine!) for approx 7.30pm.
If any of the 6pm Improvers Group would like to join us it would be great to have your company. Any family members are very welcome to join to say thanks for the support they have given us.
To assess interest please would you email to [email protected] to give me some idea of numbers.
Food on Tuesday 3 September (from Bob Jackson)
Leos catering is under new management and we plan to have food after our junior session on Tuesday 3 September.
We have a poll going in the juniors Facebook Group asking you to say what you like (and what you don’t like) from a wide choice of menus. Please reply by Wednesday 21 August.
There will then be an email from [email protected] with the menu for 3 September, so put the date in your diary now if you’re the parent of a junior member.
There will also be a second sitting at 8:30pm, Joe will be posting on VSAC Members Facebook later this week.
Autumn Club Handicap – 17 September
Put this in your diary! If you’re available to help, please email Sue Sunderland [email protected]
Followed by food at Leos.
Events for Juniors
Open to non-members except where indicated.
Sunday 1 September at 12:30pm – Wetherby “mini-marathon” 1.6 miles at Wetherby Racecourse – all ages, but under-7’s must run with a fee-paying adult, enter on the day
Sunday 1 September – York Summer League track and field – minimum age 9 – http://cityofyorkathleticclub.net/ – club members only
Sunday 8 September – West Yorkshire League track and field championships – entries closed
Saturday 14 September – Wakefield track and field – minimum age 9 – http://www.wakefield-harriers.co.uk/ – closing date 8 September – club members only
Sunday 22 September – York track and field – minimum age 7? – details not yet available, will appear at http://cityofyorkathleticclub.net/ – club members only
Sunday 29 September – Kirkstall junior race 2 miles (ages 12-16) and “Mad Monk Meander” 1 mile (11 and under), this event will be included in your junior membership fee for the Valley Striders year starting 1 September 2019, i.e. if you run this race you will be able to deduct the race fee from your V S membership fee when you renew in October. Enter via Racebest http://racebest.com/. NB entries for the Mad Monk Meander are likely to sell out well before the race
Sunday 27 October – Abbey Dash junior race – ages 8 to 14
The West Yorkshire cross-country league – minimum age 9 – will run from October through to December (dates not yet published), with 4 dates for league races – club members only
The Peco cross-country league – minimum school year 2 – will run from November through to March 2020 (dates not yet published), with 5 dates for league races and a 6th date for relays – entry fees will be included in VS junior membership fee. Club members only – if juniors on our waiting list are interested in running these, please contact us.
Please email [email protected] if you require further information about any of these.
Nothing to add other than those in the News Posts on the website, and here they all are
NEWS POSTS ON THE WEBSITE
- Race report from Pinnacle Ridge in the Lake District (from Steve Dixon) https://www.valleystriders.org.uk/pinnacle-ridge-extreme-race-report
- Golden Acre Junior Relay – V S results (17 teams of 3 runners), report and photo https://www.valleystriders.org.uk/golden-acre-junior-relays-results
- Golden Acre Relay (from Myra Jones) – V S results, report and photo https://www.valleystriders.org.uk/golden-acre-relays
- Washburn Valley Junior Relay – V S results, report and photo https://www.valleystriders.org.uk/washburn-valley-junior-relay-results
- Washburn Valley Relay (from Myra Jones) – V S results, report and photo https://www.valleystriders.org.uk/washburn-valley-relays
- Junior 100 metres races, 800 metre races and long jump at GSAL https://www.valleystriders.org.uk/junior-track-field-at-gsal
- Summer handicap results and report (from Sue Sunderland) https://www.valleystriders.org.uk/summer-handicap-2
- Fell Championship update 29 July (from Steve Webb) https://www.valleystriders.org.uk/fell-championship-update-29th-july-2019/
- North Wales half marathon (from Sean Cook) – second places for 2 Striders https://www.valleystriders.org.uk/north-wales-half-marathon
- Road runners trip to Round Hill (from Amanda Spencer) https://www.valleystriders.org.uk/valley-striders-road-runners-trip-out-to-round-hill/
- West Yorks track & field – V S promoted to division 1 https://www.valleystriders.org.uk/v-s-promoted-to-west-yorks-track-and-field-division-1/
- York track & field junior athletes meeting – 14 Striders took part https://www.valleystriders.org.uk/14-v-s-juniors-at-york-young-athletes-meeting/
It is easy to get race results and race reports published on the new website, simply go to “Members Area”, click on “News Submissions”, fill in your name and email address and type in your report (or you can key in your report to MS Word or similar and then copy and paste it into the form). Here’s the direct link to the form https://www.valleystriders.org.uk/members-area/news-submissions
Previous recent newsletters can be found in the Newsletter Archive on the “new” website https://www.valleystriders.org.uk/category/newsletter-archive/
Older newsletters can be found on the archive website https://www.valleystriders.org.uk/archive/vsupdate.htm