Updated 23 February 99
- are based in North Leeds
- are affiliated to the North of England A.A. for road, cross-country and fell running
- were founded in 1981 and have just under 100 members.
- for further information: Valley Striders Information Sheet
TRAINING NIGHTS are:
Tuesday 6.45p.m. from Old Leodiensians' Club ("Old Leos"), King Lane, Leeds (1 mile North of Sainsbury's)
Thursday - Summer - 6.30p.m. from Old Leo's as above
Thursday - Winter - 6.30p.m. from Scott Hall Sports Centre, Scott Hall Road (the A61), Leeds
Thursday - Winter - previously 6.30p.m. from Old Leo's
Sunday - 9.15a.m. from Smithy Mills Lane
(more information on these inValley Striders Information Sheet updated 24 June 1998)
WHAT'S NEW ON THE WEB SITE:
Some new and updated links - January 99
Valley Striders 'home' page with frames
Striders News December 98
Striders News September 98
Some new and updated links - September 98
Striders News August 98
From Striders News May 98
LATEST NEWS (newest first!):
- Dec 98: Striders mixed team were runners-up in 1998 Calderdale Way Relay.
- Oct 98: Max Jones at Megan's Run 3 Oct 98
(photo by Steve Fritz) Click on photo for large image
Report from Steve Fritz: Max broke an age group record for 100km but he stopped after that. He fell/collapsed as he approached the 100km record mark, but was able to get up and cross it, however, that was all he could do. He is OK now. Because of the nearly constant rain, he had difficulty judging his fluid/carbo intake. He got fluid overloaded and then later on carbo underloaded by his estimation. Fun time was had by all.
- Sep 98: Sylvia Watson won WV50 Yorkshire 10k Championship
- Sep 98: Striders vets and Striders wimin both take runners-up spots in 1998 Leeds Country Way Relay.
- Jul 98: Striders wimin won all 3 events of Park Relays 3 event series.
- Jun 98: Liz Ball won Pen-y-Ghent fell race.
- May 98: At the Leeds 1/2 marathon, Striders wimin are 2nd team and Striders men are 4th team.
- Apr 98: The third running of the Meanwood Valley Trail Race was on Saturday 4th April at 10:30am. For results see Results
- Mar 98: Striders men 96th/147 at English National XC; Paul Briscoe 281, Paul Webb 429, Mike Midgley 1020, Ian Place 1040, Steve O'Callaghan 1168, Bob Jackson 1257 (total 5195 pts), Geoff Webster 1391, Bob Wilkes 1479, John Whalley 1537 (1666 ran).
- Mar 98: Striders women 11th/56 at English National XC, Kath Kaiser 78, Liz Ball 100, Carole Schofield 150, Sylvia Watson 162 (total 490 pts), Natalie Curtis 190, Alison Marrington 355, Sue Midgley 463 (483 ran).
- Full list of English National XC from Zac at British Athletics
- Feb 98: Striders women are Team runners-up in West Yorks cross-country league 1997/8; Liz Ball is Vets champion.
- Dec 97: Striders win 3 individual runners up and women's team runners up at Yorks vets cross-country champs(see Valley Striders Achievements updated 18 Jan 1998)
- Dec 97: "Run Leeds Marathon 1998 with Valley Striders" (created 6 Dec 1997) is announced.
- Nov 97: Striders hosted the 2nd race in the 1997/8 West Yorks Cross-Country Championships on Sunday 16 November (created 16 Nov 1997).
- Oct 97: Striders women win first race in West Yorks Cross-Country
- Oct 97: Max Jones takes Over-70 World 50km / 40 mile / 50 mile records (created 6 Nov 1997)
- Oct 97: At the Horsforth 10k incorporating the Yorkshire Vets Championships, Striders win 3 individual championships and both the men's and women's team championships (see Valley Striders Achievements updated 18 Jan 1998)
FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE CLUB:
Valley Striders Information Sheet updated 24 June 1998
Valley Striders Achievements updated 18 Jan 1998
"VALLEY STRIDERS NEWS"
The STRIDERS NEWSLETTER is published 4 or 5 times per year (the most recent are now available on Internet!) and is edited by Bob Jackson (eMail Bob Jackson)
Regular contributors include:
- Paul Briscoe - Club Secretary
- Geoff Webster - Fell Secretary
- Sylvia Watson - Wimin's Captain
- Max Jones - Club Coach who writes the "Coach's Column" now available on this website
STRIDERS NEWS - COACH'S COLUMNS - written by Max Jones
STRIDERS NEWS - OTHER ARTICLES
RACES ORGANISED BY VALLEY STRIDERS:
We have 2 BAF QUALIFIED COACHES - George Black and Max Jones (eMail Max Jones)
Max has recently 'lost' his over-70 World 100km record to young Max - Max Courtillion from France. However our Max still holds the over-70 World Records at 50k, 40miles, 50miles, 12hours, 150k, 100miles and 24 hours, the Commonwealth Record at 100k and the British Record at 30miles. All these were track races.
He also holds the Commonwealth world record for 100k on the road at M65 and M70 age-groups.
He also held (but has now lost) 3 World Records, 2 Commonwealth Records and 4 British Records in the M65 age-group on the track.
Sites which have mutual links...
or have a look at ...
Created by Bob Jackson eMail email@example.com
Updated on 23 February 1999