V S Update - 15 June 2016
In this special mid-week edition:
- Training and food on 21 June
- Very brief report on VS junior races
- Call for runners for LCW
- Club Committee - message from John Wallace
- VSCC Time Trial - message from Mike Furby
Training (and food)
Tuesday 21 June
- Juniors and parents will be at Leos at 6pm.
- Beginners, improvers and intermediates will ALSO be at LEOS at 6PM (see note below)
- Experienced runners will be 5 by 6 minutes by Eccup Reservoir, meet Leos at 7pm
- Early sessions followed by pie and peas at 7:15pm - book at email@example.com
- Later sessions followed by pie and peas at 8:30pm - book at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Book before 10pm Sunday 19 June
- Choosing meat pie or veggie bake (£3.50), also choose mushy peas or baked beans.
Note - there were only 3 for the 7pm beginners/improvers/intermediates last week, so we'll try this group at 6pm - note that we now have more space as the "top" field has now been mown.
I think all who were there last night will agree that we held a very successful event.† Many thanks to the 40 or more designated officials plus all the parents who helped out as additional marshals or on the finish line.† The results are now on the website and 5 of the 8 prize categories were won by VS Juniors.† More in the next edition of VS Update.
Leeds Country Way - Message from Myra
This year's Leeds Country Way is taking place on 4th September. Please email email@example.com †by 3rd July if you would like to run. We're planning to enter 5 or 6 teams (12 runners per team) and hope to sort out the teams early July to allow plenty of time for recces.
Event details on www.kippaxharriers.org.uk/lcwv2.htm
Club Committee - Message from John Wallace
At the recent AGM a new Committee was elected to oversee the move to an updated constitution befitting a growing Club. In case you didnít know the 6 members are:
Officers - John Wallace, Mick Tinker, Myra Jones
Section Representatives - Bob Jackson (Chair of Running), Dan Murray (Chair of Cycling), Mike Furby (Chair of Tri)
Under an updated constitution the Club Committee will have a role to oversee the activities of the Sections, which will have their own Committees to organise their activities. The main Club Committee will be aiming to ensure good management, good financial management, and sustaining the club ethos.
Whilst we're establishing that new constitution it would therefore be good to have a few more people on the Committee, to broaden the range of opinions and ideas. In particular more female representatives or some junior section representatives would be useful. If you're interested get in touch with me either at the Club (I'm there most Tuesdays) or by email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
So everyone is clear, volunteering does not commit you to a load of work - we are looking for people to contribute to discussion on the constitution which means attending a few meetings. I and qualified others will draft the constitution but the ideas need to come from the club members.
Hope to hear from some of you
VSCC Time Trial - Message from Mike Furby
Valley Striders CC will hold our first ever open event on the 9th July and rather like for the Club running events we are also in need of some helpers on the day and so this is a request for that help. In addition, we are also looking for more riders too, and so if you are interested in taking part then please let us know.
- The event is a 25 mile time trial held on a course between Walshford and Boroughbridge on the A168. The headquarters is Arkendale Village Hall.
- The date is Saturday 9th July and we have the hall from midday to 6pm, but the event itself starts at 2pm and may last up to 3 hours depending on the number of entries we receive.
- Helpers are needed at the marshalling points on two roundabouts on the course, at the start/finish points and in the headquarters of the event. We have a few names already but we need more.
- Event details (including course map) are here https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-details/12167
- Information regarding Arkendale Village Hall is here: http://www.satiche.org.uk/arken/hall.htm
This is a great opportunity for Valley Striders to show our club in the wider local sporting arena.
We do plan to put on food and hot drinks in the hall.
Contact Mike Furby email@example.com for further information and offers to help or ride the event.
RESULTS and RACE REPORTS
Will be in the next V S Update