Subject: V S Update - Food and triathlon meeting; VS Autumn tour, successes at Peco including win for Myra
Sent: 13 February 2015 00:33
Tuesday 17 February – Pie and Peas
Training sessions as usual at 6pm and 7pm from Leos (more information on website)
Two sittings for pie and peas
· early sessions followed by pie and peas at 7:15pm book at firstname.lastname@example.org
· later sessions followed by pie and peas at 8:30pm book at email@example.com
· bookings MUST be made before 10pm Sunday – Tony places his order with his butcher on Sunday night
· choose meat pie or veggie bake (£3.50), whether you want mushy peas or baked beans and whether you want apple pie (£1.50)
· if you book and don’t cancel before 10pm Sunday, you are liable for payment if you don’t attend. If you subsequently email a cancellation, we may be able to re-sell your food.
Tuesday 17 February – V S Triathlon meeting (from Mike Furby)
Valley Striders interested in Triathlon are welcome to attend a meeting on Tuesday 17th February at Leos rugby club 8:30pm following the usual 7pm Tuesday evening club training session.
Find out more about triathlon and what we are doing as a club. Things that will be discussed including individual and club plans for the year as well as people’s hopes for what the club can try to offer. We'll talk about training schedules including multisport specific training such as run+bike and transition area.
All welcome. “Late food” is available (see information above how to book)
Valley Striders Autumn Tour … to Munich (from Patrick Barrett)
Dear people of the VS
Here we go again, after yet another the great and successful running tour to Lisbon last year, the 2014 attendees posse have now voted for this year’s autumn tour and overwhelmingly voted for Munich, the beer capital of Europe, what a pity! We had a total of 22 votes, Munich x 13, Valencia x 6 and Budapest x 3. The running events are on Sunday 11th October 2015. They have a run to suit all, including Full and half marathon, marathon relay, 10 and 3k
We had 25 Valley Striders that went to Lisbon last October and we all had a fantastic time, both running, sunshine and the local entertainment, known as the towlers! ! let’s try and beat that number this year. If you have any doubts, just ask anybody who went to any of the previous tours, inc Dublin, Amsterdam, Palma or Eindhoven etc
There are three airlines that fly direct to Munich from Manchester, Lufthansa, EasyJet and Air Berlin, however, not all have their autumn schedules out yet, so will be checking on flight times and costs, will let all know asap. So, subject to flights, the provisional arrangements and costs are;
· Sat 10 Oct 2015, Manchester to Munich, approx. £120 - £145.00 return, hopefully flights arrive in time to collect running no’s from expo, check into hotel, collective pasta meal, early night (except the heavy drinkers, you know who you are!)
· Sun 11 Oct 2015, running and after race lazy drinks and food, pm, get rid of sweaty running gear, show and all meet for meal and party
· Mon 12 Oct 2015, day, sightseeing, museum, lazy drinking, whatever takes your fancy, pm, party night, dinner and award ceremony
· Tues 13 Oct 2015, Munich to Manchester return flights
· With regards to flight, the above dates are suggested only, some people may want to extend their stay in Munich for a short break, that is no problem, you will just need to make your own arrangements outside the main tour booking. Also happy if anybody wishes to research other possible flight options or transport. Also, please note, from initial flight research, EasyJet don’t fly above dates, but they do fly Fri 9 Oct and return Mon 12th Oct, departing 16:45pm at a cost of just £114.00 (todays price)
· Hotel, we usually have a nice central 4 star, B&B basis and at cost of approx. £50 - £75 pppn based on a twin or double room. This will all be confirmed once we have confirmed flight options
· Train to Manchester, cost as little as £15 return if booked approx. 12 weeks before travel, some people prefer to drive
· Running, Marathon 68 Euro, half 48 Euro and 10K 29 Euro, all rates if booked prior to 31 March 2015 and go up on sliding scale up to Sept 2015
The tour is open to all VS member, family, friends, and any non-running supporters, all irrespective of running ability and all very welcome. It would be great if we have some of the newer members joining us, it’s a fantastic weekend of running and partying and a great way to get to know your fellow VS member.
If you wish to attend this great fun pack tour weekend, please confirm by Fri 7th March at the latest, by emailing: Patrick@b2pg.com after we have the final numbers, I will sort the flights and advise at the appropriate time for your own booking. I will then book the hotel(s) you will also need to book your own train to/from Manchester and race entry.
Please advise if you require any further information or clarification
Looking forward to it already…………..
VS Director of Marathon Services plc
Peco XC Results
Another great result for Valley Striders, with both the men’s and women’s teams finishing 1st (a repeat of races 1,2,3). Both teams will win their leagues whatever position they finish in race 5, but I’m sure they’ll be going for a clean sweep. The men’s vets finished 2nd and now lie 2nd overall, the women’s vets finished 1st (in division two) and are almost certain of promotion next year.
That’s the team situation, but the outstanding performance of the day was by Myra who won the ladies race – I think this is the first time a Strider has won a Peco race.
We had 32 men and 16 women running. We’re still waiting for the timed results to appear on the Peco website, so I’ll publish the full list in the next V S Update.
Peco Junior Races
25 Tally Diamond 7:33 (4th girl)
33 Imogen Idle 7:51 (7th girl)
43 Thomas Steel 8:24
47 Aisha Sajjad 8:52
51 Sarah Brady 9:28
3 Joe Sherman 11:40 (2nd in school year 7-9)
7 Avner Bordoley 12:05
V S Grand Prix
Results and tables now on the website. This includes the Brass Monkey and Inskip which are included in the “Any Other Half Marathon” category.