Subject: V S Update - Last call for Harewood; Tuesday training and food; Results including duathlon win for Matt, Yorkshire Marathon and VS 60 metre challenge
Sent: 17 October 2014 08:43
Last call for Harewood marshals and junior Striders wanted for Harewood 2 mile Race – this Sunday
Marshals will have now had their final instructions. If you’ve volunteered and haven’t had an email or phone call, please email email@example.com.
We’d like to see lots of junior Valley Striders running in the 2 mile race. Race details and entries at www.racebest.com and it’s only £3 to enter online. Closing time for online entries is Friday 6pm, It costs an extra £2 to enter on the day, but all the profits go to Lineham Farm Children’s Centre and Yorkshire Air Ambulance.
Not only will you get the best support from all the Valley Striders marshals, but also you’ll be gaining V S Junior Grand Prix points and Leeds Junior Race Series points.
Tuesday 21 October – Training
Sessions all back to normal – see website.
Hi-vis is now compulsory for all 6:45pm and 7pm sessions. Juniors and beginners/improvers at the 6pm sessions need not wear hi-vis but please wear a light colour rather than black or dark blue, so as to be more visible under floodlights!
Parents’ rota – I haven’t had time to put the system in place, so would be grateful if 3 or 4 parents volunteered
Juniors road group – runners in this group also need hi-vis. 1 or 2 experienced runners please to help with this group that will be out on the road for the first time.
Tuesday 21 October – Food
Two sittings for pie and peas – please book by 10pm Sunday 19th
· early sessions followed by pie and peas at 7:15pm book at firstname.lastname@example.org
· later sessions followed by pie and peas at 8:30pm book at email@example.com
· bookings MUST be made before 10pm Sunday – Tony places his order with his butcher on Sunday night
· choose meat pie or veggie bake (£3.50), whether you want mushy peas or baked beans and whether you want apple pie (£1.50)
· if you book and don’t cancel before 10pm Sunday, you are liable for payment if you don’t attend. If you subsequently email a cancellation, we may be able to re-sell your food.
Carsington Duathlon – Congratulations to Matt Hallam who, in his first race as a Valley Strider, WON the event. Results at http://www.stuweb.co.uk/race/Ey/
Ilkley Aquathlon – correction – 2nd in the boys event was Sam Hollis
Hartside Duathlon – from John Shanks
Glorious weather. Both runs were tough 5k with a monster hill. Cycle was a scenic and hilly 19 miler with a lovely climb up Hartside.
finished in 5th position, which is disappointing as it could easily have been
3rd if not for a visor mishap and clumsy transitions. I don't think I ran very
Big news is Sarah finished 3rd lady which is a great result for only her 2nd multi sport event. She won a t-shirt for her efforts.
Would recommend this one next year, really well organised and people are friendly. We got really lucky with the weather and got great views over Hartside.
Yorkshire Coast 10k (Scarborough)
Callum Parton ran 41.07(PB) and Dawn 48.28(PB)
Gun time Chip time Half way (chip)
47 Rav Panesar 2:53:27 2:53:22 1:27:30
180 Joel Giddings 3:11:13 3:10:57 1:38:18
333 Andy Pagdin 3:21:56 3:21:35 1:40:20
413 Michael Hall 3:26:15 3:25:40 1:44:24
459 Mike Furby 3:27:59 3:27:28 1:38:55
795 Simon Barker 3:40:15 3:39:06 1:41:25
1059 Bob Jackson 3:48:44 3:46:26 1:52:23
2935 Neil Hall 4:54:43 4:52:25 2:15:53
3537 Kirsty Myers 6:02:02 5:55:08 2:27:54
DNF Paul Sanderson
Andy Pagdin posted on facebook “Can't believe I've just run a Marathon in 3:21 - beyond my wildest dreams. Massive thanks to Paul Sanderson for the lift (a real shame you cramped up); Hannah Corne for the huge hi-five at 18 miles which gave me a MASSIVE lift; Bob Jackson for the talc after the race and Holly Button for looking after me whilst waiting for Paul. You are all brilliant :)”
Mike Furby posted “Mixed feelings regarding my performance at Yorkshire marathon today. On one hand I wanted to go 3:15 or so and I should be more than capable on the other I am actually happy to get below 3:30 in my first standalone marathon. Lack of quality long runs is what got to me in the end I reckon. Nice to see lots of striders in the crowds on the course etc. great mega phoning from Hannah Corne I needed that. Saw Rav in front of the 2:59 pacer looking well strong too amongst others including Bob, Andy etc great turnout.”
Finally, check out http://www.yorkmix.com/sport/reasons-why-the-yorkshire-marathon-is-now-the-worlds-best/ and look for Mike Hall (reason #12)
Valley Striders 60 metre challenge
36 juniors and 16 adults competed in the 60 metres challenge in the mist and drizzle and dusk on Tuesday at GSAL. Thanks to Eamon, Paul, Abigail and Mary for their support on the finish line!
· Girls 11+ 1 Eleanor Ford, 2 Rebecca White, 3 Izzy Carter, 4 Maeve Richardson, 5 Tamara Bramley, 6 Josie Boyes
· Boys 11+ 1 Jonah Thorpe, 2 Alex Irvine, 3 Max Partington, 4 Joe Irvine, 5 Callum Chambers, 6 Laurie O’Brien, 7 Ben Hollis
· Girls 5-8 1 Ella Hollis, 2 Josephine Pawley, 3 Sofia Bednarek, 4 Charlotte Clark
· Boys 5-8 1 Dominic Richardson, 2 Sam Chambers, 3 Ed Scantlebury, 4 Luca Bednarek, 5 David Irvine, 6 Alex Boyes
· Girls 9-10 1 Ceara Sexton, 2 Sarah Clark, 3 Alex Skerrett, 4 Eleanor Partington, 5 Anna McLellan
· Boys 9-10 1 Alvin Udenze, 2 Finlay Chambers, 3 Marvin Udenze, 4 Sam Hollis, 5 Alvie O’Brien, 6 Lucas Walsh, 7 Esben Rost, 8 Alex
· Unfortunately the Ladies and Men’s adults results have gone missing, so if you took part could you let me know, and I’ll publish next week
· The first two in each race then competed in a ladies/girls final and a men/boys final. Again these results have gone missing, but I do know that Jonah was first and Alvin second in the male final.