Subject: V S Weekly Update - Events & Training over Xmas & new year, Annual awards, WY & Peco XC results, messages from Holly
Sent: 17 December 2012 00:01
Valley Striders Winter Handicap and Junior 1 mile – Sunday 30 December - meet by lodge at Eccup Res for junior 1 mile at 10:45a.m. and Xmas handicap 5 miles at 11a.m., afterwards at Leos, bring food to share.
The “big” local races – Chevin Chase, Auld Lang Syne etc – are full but I’m guessing there are still some races taking entries. If not, then you’ll just have to have a parkrun or four (I’m guessing there will be some Xmas Day and New Years Day parkruns). Also look out for two new parkruns in Leeds in the new year – here’s the facebook page for Templenewsam http://www.facebook.com/templenewsamparkrun .
Just got an email from Sarah Smith that she is running the Hardmoors 30 (circular from Ravenscar) on New Years Day. Entries are being taken on the day. There is also a shorter route, just 15 miles! Sarah says “If anyone decides to go they are welcome to have a lift, I am driving up the night before though and either camping or hostelling. firstname.lastname@example.org 07912 093 259” See http://hardmoors110.org.uk/ for details of this and other races on the North Yorks Moors in 2013.
There is a special Peco Handicap Race at Golden Acre Park on 6 January, but you need to have run at least one of the two Peco league races to be able to enter. The next Peco League race is 13 January at Bramley Falls (a mile from Kirkstall Abbey but on the south side of the Aire). See www.pecoxc.co.uk for details of these.
Note also entry closing dates for the National and Northern XC. Email email@example.com if you want to run
· Northern XC at Knowsley Safari Park on Saturday 26 January, entries needed by Tuesday 8 January, details on Northern Athletics website http://www.noeaa-athletics.org.uk
· National XC at Sunderland on Saturday 23 February, entries needed by Wednesday 26 December. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Training Sessions for Xmas and New Year
· Tuesday 18 December – 6pm Kathy’s beginners/improvers/juniors. 7pm Grace’s intermediates. 7pm experienced runners 5 by 6mins.
· Thursday 20 December – two sessions from Scott Hall (NB website was wrong, has now been corrected)
· Tuesday 25 December – no sessions!
· Thursday 27 December – please check website
· Tuesday 1 January – no sessions!
· Thursday 3 January - two sessions from Scott Hall
· Tuesday 8 January – 6pm Kathy’s beginners/improvers/juniors. 7pm Grace’s intermediates. 7pm experienced runners track session at Leeds Met, but please take reflective bib in case track is frozen, in which case there will be a road session from Leeds Met (probably hills at Church Lane)
· Thursday 10 January – sessions from Scott Hall & Roundhay
· Tuesday 15 January – Kathy’s, Grace’s and experienced runners sessions, also possibly fell session, followed by food at Leos
Please check website for any changes!
The main awards presented on Friday were
· Vadim Kuznetsov trophy – best age-graded performance at Leeds Half – Mary Egan - 1:46:07 age 57 is 79.28%
· Max Jones trophy – best age graded performance for year – Richard Balshaw - 34:13 for Salford 10k age 44 is 85.58%
· Grand Prix – winners Simon Midwood & Myra Jones; vets winners Richard Balshaw (M40), Alistair Smyth (M50), Sue Sunderland (W35); group winners Gary Mann (B), Richard Irvine (D), Richard Adcock (E) and Sarah Howell (F)
· Fell Championship – winners Steve Webb & Amanda Seims
· Marathon Trophy – Andy May for 2:34 at Berlin (fastest male Strider this century)
· Stuart St John Also Ran Trophy – joint winners (first time this has been shared) – Gary Mann & Sarah Howell
We had 5 applicants for the 4 London Marathon places but one dropped out, so no draw was needed and those allocated the club places are Joel Giddings, John Shanks, Nick Barnes and Richard Irvine. Reserve is John Batchelor.
Email from Stuart St John (who sent a picture of himself in Australia) – “Hi Bob & hope all is well with both you & the Club. Just a brief note to wish everybody a good & fulfilling Christmas dinner & that everyone behaves themselves!!!! Also to say that this year I'm making a stand against Christmas Card sending & the Post Office stamp rip-off, so where ever possible I'll be either emailing or phoning would-be 'lucky' people!!!!!! Have a great night & thinking of you all.”
Also I received a Xmas Card from Janet Kitchen (presenter of the Marathon Trophy) – “best wishes for Christmas and the New Year and good luck to all Valley Striders. My eldest grandson Matthew Gillson (age 23) will be running the Chevin Chase. I don’t know wif he wants to join a club but if you come across him, perhaps you would mention Valley Striders, I would be delighted if he were to join”
West Yorks Cross Country
Race 4 at Wakefield
22 Julia Leventon 23:36
31 Myra Jones 24:25
37 Hayley Nancolas 25:04
62 Sue Sunderland 26:43
74 Sharon Tansley 27:59
26 Jon Parker 36:40
34 Simon Midwood 37:13
46 Gwil Thomas 37:48
61 Jerry Watson 38:36
79 Steve Webb 39:26
94 Paul Fotherby 40:13
103 Alex Nancolas 40:33
114 Dave Penman 41:27
162 Rob Marsh 45:59
· Women - team position 6th (7th, 9th, 8th, 8th)
· Men - team position 6th (5th, 6th, 6th, 6th)
· M50 category 1st Jerry Watson, 3rd Steve Webb
John Smith trophy
· This is awarded to the leading team (men+women) that has not finished in a top 3 men’s positions or top 3 women’s positions in 2010/2011/2012. And the winner this year is VALLEY STRIDERS, so congratulations to all who ran in 1 or more race and thanks to team captains Gwil, Dan, Myra and Holly!
For full details see http://www.westyorkshireathletics.org.uk/
Peco XC race 2 at Middleton Park
Junior races – apologies here because I was the official recorder for these races, writing down positions and names, but forgot to take a copy of VS positions. Our finishers were
· 1 mile – Adam Mills and Sarah Brady
· 2 mile – Callum Parton, Alex Irvine and Eleanor Ford
4 Kim Threadgall
8 Myra Jones
26 Sue Sunderland
33 Carole Schofield
39 Sharon Tansley
55 Sarah Smith
89 Pascale Fotherby
Team finished 3rd behind 1st Abbey and 2nd Wetherby
11 Jon Parker
14 Gwil Thomas
25 Richard Balshaw
29 Paul Kaiser
40 Simon Vallance
44 Steve Wilkins (debut as Strider)
53 Ian Sanderson
54 Gary Mann
57 Tony Mills
74 Roy Huggins
76 Dan Murray
91 Richard Irvine
96 Rob Marsh
113 Alistair Smyth
116 Adam Parton
136 Leroy Sutton
155 Malcolm Coles
158 John Wallace
175 Graham Ford
180 Tony Haygarth
181 Bob Jackson
215 Bob Wilkes
Team finished 2nd behind 1st Abbey, ahead of 3rd Rothwell
A couple of items of clothing were left on the V S banner, email me to claim!
Rudolph’s Romp – from Sarah Smith
1.12.2012 23 miles in the Yorkshire Wolds, start and finish in Brantingham, LDWA event
33 John Marsham 3:57
34 Steve Dixon 3:59
42 Ian Sanderson 4:05
54 Sarah Smith 4:16 (3rd lady)
48 Malcolm Coles 4:22
117 Geoff Webster 5:25
Winner Michael Hargreaves 2:57
Message from Holly – deputy leader required
I am looking for a leader (or someone who would like to become a leader, maybe to build your CV or make a little spare cash) who is available for 2 hours, one morning a week to lead a ladies' beginners running group?
I have three lovely ladies that drop their children off at local primary schools and meet at Roundhegians rugby grounds, off High Moor Avenue and Street Lane. I am struggling to fit in leading this group along with other commitments and thought there might be someone out there who is free in the morning and would like to do something with it. Currently the group meets Wednesdays but it may not need to be this day - whatever fits with you and the ladies.
You don't need to be super fit or be qualified to lead a session - we can help with that, you'll also be able to come to the sessions and help lead bits to see if it's for you. The rugby pitch has closable gates if you wanted to develop it into a parents and tots session or just have it open to those who may need to bring children along.
I have made links with the school and can put up a banner to help with advertising....the world is your oyster!
Message from Holly - to those running Auld Lang Syne Race
I'm inviting you to prepare for the best race of the year...using a sport psychology tool I am going to evaluate as part of an MSc Psychology Sport and Exercise project. The tool is called Pre-shot and is embedded in the PGA golf coach curriculum. It's also being tested in other sports like rugby and being piloted at a school in Wales as part of improving confidence and concentration in primary ahed children. It's based on bringing the mental into the physical so we can optimise what we say and imagine when we compete.
I want to evaluate its effectiveness for sports such as running and challenging sports such as fell running.
I am inviting you to my flat to use the tool to plan your race - prepping from the night before, at the start line, over the boggy fields and pushing through to the finish line. I'll provide endless tea and cake to help us keep on task.
This will take place the day before the race: 30th Dec, 2-5pm (or as long as we need). Those that are on the entry list: Alun Davies, Myra Jones, Tom Button, Dan Murray (agreed to take part), Alistair Smyth, John Batchelor, Sarah Smith, Dave Jones, Graham Ford & Malcolm Coles
Please email me to let me know if you'd like to come: email@example.com