BOB JACKSON’S TOP TEN TIPS FOR CALCULATING YOUR
first published in October
1995 Valley Striders News
- The par time is 25 mins, plus 15 secs for each year of your age.
- Add 10 secs for every mile per week that you are training less than 25 m.p.w. (under-trained). But also add 10 secs for every mile per week that you are training more than 35 mpw (over—tired)
- Subtract 30 secs if your last serious training run was on Tues/Wednesday, add 30 secs if it was more than a week ago.
- Add 20 secs if you stayed up to watch "Match of the Day".
- Add a further 20 secs if Aston Villa were on and they lost. (This would be 30 secs if you’re a Leeds United supporter, because you’re not as used to losing)
- Subtract 20 secs if you had no alcohol the evening before; add 40 secs per mile for each pint of beer or glass of wine over one.
- Add 10 secs if the fish and chips were from the Wetherby Whaler; add 1 minute if they were from Greasy Joe’s.
- Add 5 secs for every time the cat jumped on your head while you were sleeping.
- Subtract 15 secs if you arrived at the start with ˝hour to spare; add 30 secs if you only had 10 minutes to spare. (JW add 10 minutes if you were 10 minutes late)
- Subtract 10 secs if one of the wimin is 100-200 yards ahead. (Ladies, subtract 10 secs if Peter Lambert is just ahead)